Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Additional Assignment # 1

Google Squared and Wolf Ram

Google Squared and WolframAlpha searches both give information in a very straight forward, "easy to digest" way. Searches produce all information concerning only what you type into the search box making it easy to compare and break down the statistics given such as when I searched for "country populations".
I did not know about either of these search engines prior to this assignment, but I know that I will definitely be using them in the future. They both seem like a nice alternative to searching through links looking for specific information. I also like the "add on" feature of Google Squared which allows you to create a new column of information by simply labeling the top and it automatically fills in all the other categories for you. One thing I personally didn't like is that a majority of the information given comes from Wikipedia, which I try to shy away from using whenever possible. 
Dr. Strange's comments on these search tools has not altered my thinking on the movie "Did You Know", but using the tools made me realize there are ways to deal with statistics when a lot seem to be thrown at you and can sometimes leave you feeling overwhelmed with information or wondering where they came from. Google Squared and WolframAlpha helped me put some of the facts from "Did You Know" into perspective. 

Map showing Location of the Pitcairn Islands:


Pitcairn Island Map

 

No comments:

Post a Comment