Friday, September 17, 2010

Blog Assignment 4

a cartoon depicting a computer class with a caption reading




Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please? By: Scott Mcleod
Scott Mcleod, who is a professor in the Educational Administration program at Iowa State University wrote this post regarding children using technology. Sarcastically, Mr. Mcleod tells parents, teachers, administrators and board members to not teach children how to benefit from technology because all they will do is misuse it. I agree with Mr. Mcleod in the fact that children should be exposed to the many uses of technology, however, I also think that age, maturity and responsibility play a huge role in a child's ability to learn through technology. I don't think it would be hard for a child to be misled in the uses of technology, but with correct guidance they can greatly benefit from it.

The iSchool Initiative

I'll be honest. At first I was a little skeptical of this idea. I viewed it as a way to replace teachers, classrooms and schools all together, but obviously that could never happen. Teachers are needed, and always will be needed, to guide students in learning. The role that technology should play in education is a "helping hand"; something that can make the process a little easier. That is exactly what the iSchool Initiative would do.

This program involved a lot of applications that I liked. Some that I think would be more beneficial to a classroom, and school, are the graphing calculator, book library and Notes. I also like the idea of student's parents and teachers being able to get in touch with one another easily. Although I think it would take some time for the program to reach its full potential in a school, I think this idea would work in schools and save a lot of money in the long run while also helping engage students in a new form of learning.


This was a nice perspective on the negative views of the world today. It's so easy to say that the future is not bright, and that we're all going nowhere fast. It's our job to make the changes needed to create a future full of hope, and prove that we will not be the "apathetic and lethargic" generation. I truly enjoyed this video, and believe in its message entirely. If we all started thinking like this a lot more would get accomplished and priorities would be set right again.


This was absolutely amazing. Click on the link to check it out! The fact that these people have NEVER MET in one place to practice or have even SEEN each other is beyond belief. Just a small glimpse of how the internet and use of technology connects us all in a common way.

3 comments:

  1. I like your blog, but You might want to do seperate post for the different ideas, otherwise it is hard to carry-on a conversation.

    Regarding maturity being needed for different technologies. I agree, but also think people way underestimate what kids are capable of. I have had complete strangers take my camera from my niece and nephew, who were using the camera correctly. Yes I realize my nephew is only 2, but he is capable of using my camera. Gets some pretty interesting shots.

    The same thing has happened when they were using my I-phone. When I have them out for the day, during school holidays, they often ask to make a video to send to to Mom and Dad on face book.

    I talk to my students regularly about being responsible. I have them read other students' blogs and publish on our blog. We talk about what is appropriate to post and what is not. I do a search on my name and show them how far back posts on public forums go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you may have missed the point that Scott Mcleod was trying to make in his post. He is telling the teachers, parents, and board members to not teach their children these things, but he is using it with his children. It is a really blunt way to say, "Hey, don't bother teaching your kids these things so my kids will be the ones who are more successful 10 or 20 years down the road." He is making the point that all the children who are using technology now will be better off in the future.

    Other than that, this is a great post! Your links are great because we have direct access to the content.

    Keep up the good work Brandi.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, I really like what you said about the iSchool. I think the idea is a good one, but it is a little early for its time. The iPhone has many great applications and some that could even replace a class or two, but it still lacks vital attributes that can only be learned in the classroom. The iSchool may be beneficial in getting kids involved in technology, but it takes away from the classroom setting and makes learning a bit impersonal. It's a great idea in theory, but I think we'll have to wait a little longer before it is put into action.

    Kathryn Buchanan

    ReplyDelete