Friday, October 22, 2010

Blog Assignment # 9


apple


Mr. McClung's post is a reflection of his first year of teaching at Noel Elementary in Noel, Missouri. He talks about how much he has grown since his first day as a teacher. He also mentions a few main things he has learned. The following are a few points that stood out to me as I read his post:

1. Be Flexible.
"NO LESSON IS EVER PERFECT. THE LESSON YOU TEACH AND THE ONE YOU PLAN ARE ALWAYS DIFFERENT."
This is something I feel like I'm going to have trouble with in the future. I get so caught up with making every detail, and wanting the students to understand it the first time. This is not always the case. Mr. McClung had to learn not to let it get to him when his lessons did not go exactly as he wanted them to. He says that you have to learn that when things go wrong, try to better the situation and work with it.

2. Communication
Nothing can make a school run more smoothly than communication. When everyone is on the same page about what is going on, everyone seems to be more organized and willing to work with one another. It also builds stronger friendships and cooperation between fellow teachers.

3. Don't be afraid of technology
This is a HUGE point that Mr. McClung makes. He says that adults treat technology like a bad horror film where computers are trying to take over the world. I've learned that they are not here to take over our world, but to make our job easier, and help us make a bigger impact on our student's lives and education.

4.Never Stop Learning
Dr. Strange has made it clear to us that being a teacher also means being a learner. If we're not willing to learn, then we shouldn't be a teacher. There will always be new ways of teaching and enhancing our lessons. Why would we choose NOT to better our student's education? I plan on keeping an open mind in the future and accept any advice that comes my way.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brandi!

    Your post is pretty similar to mine. I agree a lot with what you said about being flexible.

    I know I'm going to have to work on not getting frustrated when a lesson I have planned doesn't go smoothly. That will probably happen a lot, so having an open mind about it is something I'm going to have to remember. I'm sure most people will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like point four the best, but do note that accepting another person's advice doesn't mean that you have to abide it!

    ReplyDelete